Saturday, April 13, 2013

My Ocean Waves Quilt

I brought this quilt to Quilt Group this week to show them and see what they thought... I have NEVER seen fabric do this before...


The quilt top got wet - with sea water and was left folded up for a bit of time... and the fabric printed itself - the exact design even (so not just bleeding, but copying of the design) onto the plain fabric.  See?  All homespuns and men's shirts (the men's shirts didn't print).  I already sent it through the washing machine and set it out in the sun to dry.
*
Quilt Group likes the effect and they wonder if I can duplicate the result on the "unprinted" white squares.  They say - quilt it.  I am thinking - replace the white squares and big white borders.  The final border is 2 rows of pieced triangles.
*
So - what do you think?
*
NOT that I have any time for quilting right now.  It is brush burning season and I am staying busy outside gathering up deadfall and burning brush.  My old apple trees take a beating in the winter winds.   I burn in a barrel - being near the water - even on a perfectly calm day, the wind kicks up when the tide changes.  Nice and contained in the barrel!  I am always amazed at the huge amount of brush a hot fire can burn in the course of one afternoon!  Lots of my neighbors are burning their lawns, but that just makes me nervous.


5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Hi Evelyn,

Wow, that's pretty neat!!! Depends what the quilt was originally supposed to be for, but I think it'd be interesting to leave it as-is and finish it that way, not replace the printed pieces. It would be sort of an 'artifact.'

Jeanne :)

Paula, the quilter said...

I have never seen anything like that happen before. Is the plaid fabric mainly homespuns? I like the effect and would leave it if I could.

GeoHolly said...

I would keep it as is. It has a story. I think it's pretty awesome.

dot said...

Interesting and I think I would just leave it. It adds mystic and individuality to the quilt.

dot said...

I would leave it as is. I like it, adds character to the quilt and could be a great conversation starter.