OK, someone posted asking if anyone knew the pattern source for this block - or at least a block similar to this one. Right away I thought it was a Quiltmaker pattern - I could just visual the magazine layout in my mind. So, I looked through a few back issues -and presto, I found it right off! I have looked and looked through all the blogs trying to find that post and can't find it again - so I decided it would be faster just to make a block and post it on my blog and hope that it is seen by whoever was looking!
So - here is a block from the quilt called Bed of Roses - first published in Quiltmaker in March/April 1996 (issue 48) and re-printed in Quiltmaker's All-Time Favorites Spring of 2000 (photo of cover below). The original quilt is featured in 30's(?) pastels. I made my block in Christmas-sy fabrics - just in case I ever get around to making a Christmas quilt!
I thought this block might be a bit tricky, thinking that the center yellow part was a set-in seam. Not so! You just make a partial seam and then sew in segments counter-clock wise. When you get to the last seam it joins into the first partial seam - with a straight line. No set-in seam at all, got to love that! All the triangles are flip-and-sew. I made the mistake of eye-balling the triangles on the flower petals (can we say a bit wobbly?). By the time I got to the leaves I found my little mechanical pencil and drew diagonal lines as a guide - so much better! I might make a few more - next time around I will draw a line for all the triangles for a more accurate seam. Still, for a first try, I think the block came out pretty good.
Oh yeah - one more thing... it doesn't seem that seam allowance size really matter on this block! I just just just switched sewing machines and forgot that the 1/4" foot on my current machine really isn't 1/4". So, the block that is supposed to measure 11 1/4" (not sure if that is finished or unfinished size, but that is what the magazine gives for a size) - well, mine currently measures a perfect 12" - so that would be 11 1/2" finished. A bit off in any case, but at least all my points still match pretty good - even on the top, except I chopped it off a bit on the photo.
Anyway, I hope that helps! If you are making blocks for a charity quilt I would be happy to make up a few more to contribute - it didn't take very long at all - just let me know what colors you need and if this size is OK.