Friday, January 01, 2016

Hand-Knit Stripped Socks

I started these socks mid-October, right after reading a post on Polka Dot Chicken Blog about alternating 2 yarns. I brought them to Vienna in early November, but because I had broken the variegated yarn for the heel...I forgot that ball of yarn. BUT...I had a different ball of sock yarn in my bag, so I put these socks on hold (carefully looping a different colored yarn through the stitches so I could use the knitting needles.

Anyway, I finished the pair of socks I needed those needles for. Or, almost - just have to weave the ends in to finish. So, I had my needles back to finish the stripped pair!  I took them for a 5 mile test hike the other day and they are cozy! A little looser than I am used too because I did not do my stadard K3, P1 rib down to the toe. A rib gives you a better fitting sock. But, I am thinking that after washing they might be a bit snugger.
I have enough yarn left over from both yarns to make another pair. I see Polka Dot Chicken is now playing around with alternating every other row and maybe I will give that a try. But first I want to cast on a different color.

Yarn info: turquoise is 100 grams (3.5 oz) for 7.25€ mixed with FilaBlu Marathon color 100 grams for 6.99€.

To see what everyone else is knitting this week, click on the link to Judy's Patchwork Times blog

The weather here in Austria continues to be unusually warm. We took a drive outside the city today. At 1550 meters, this area is popular for day trip skiers.  There were some families at the restaurant who had booked their Christmas break vacation here for skiing. That is not going to happen anytime soon.  It was 3C up there.




6 comments:

Ramona said...

Beautiful socks! I really like the stripes. Your photos are gorgeous. Happy New year!

Judy S. said...

Nice finish! Love the color combo.

Dar said...

Beautiful colors on your socks. I love that they seem very long in the leg portion. Beautiful scenery.

Beatrice said...

Happy 2016!
So glad I found your blog again. I remember reading your posts for a few years thanks to the Stash Quilts Ring (I love your "Shakespeare in the Park" and remember the banner with a little boy on a tricycle on a blue quilt top!). However the Stash Quilts Ring stopped working some time ago now and I hadn't bookmarked your blog. Well I have, now!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Thank you for all the lovely comments! I 7sually knit my socks the length of my 7" knitting needles before dividing the stitches in 1/2 for the heel. And I sm so happy to see some of my long time readers finding me again!

Doodlebug Gail said...

Lovely socks! That's still on my list of "knitting to learn". I've heard that knitting socks can become addictive - so, do I need another addiction or not - LOL.