Thursday, July 16, 2009

Made some more curtains!


A mini collage of this bedroom - which is typically mine. Except someone else will be using it next week and then I got to thinking that they might not like sheer curtains on 3 sides. I like the sheers because I need to wake up extra early. So, I made curtains - very beautiful peach drapery fabric with a subtle waffle weave - from Marden's for $1 a yard. I used every single bit of the 12 yards I bought. Maybe I should have bought extra to make matching shams, but too late now! All those windows now have curtains. I saw some really nice rope cords at the dollar store so have to go back and get those for tie-backs.


*
I love everything about this room. The wood floors (there is a bit of tile flooring in front of the slider), beautiful bed, the lovely leaves trim on the dresser, the old embroidered table scarf, the end tables that DH & I bought extra cheap at an auction years ago (for sure they were under $20 because that was usually the maximum we would bid on anything!) a cross stitch sampler that was a wedding gift and a little hand-colored photograph that I've had for years, the goofy slanting roof line, even the drapery rod balls - I like those too. The wall you can't see in the photos has a series of 3 tiny, skinny closets with white doors and the door into the room. I could use more closet space, but because my space is limited I tent to be ruthless with sorting clothes.
*
On top of DH's chest of drawers I have an old brass strainer that is full of beautiful beach stones. My try at decorating - which I just don't seem to have a knack for. It wasn't until I was taking photos that I noticed that both sides of the bed have basically the same photos! Duh.



MY end table has a laptop, but it is pretty much unusable there during daylight hours because of the glare from the window behind the bed. Maybe that will change with the new curtains? That's it really - I keep the room very simple because I have allergies and like to dust/vacuum constantly.

*
You might notice that I have a plain beige spread on the bed. Despite my love of making scrap quilts, I prefer plain and solid colors in my own room. It is not very often that I will actually put a quilt on this bed. I wash all my bedding at least 1X a week in hot water so I guess my quilts wouldn't fare really well on my bed anyway.

*

Just out the slider door - a new deck is being built. You can see a bag of nails in the new curtain photo. I am very happy about the deck because there was one out there, but it was rotting and falling apart - so gone. I have been without a deck off that door for at least 2 years now.

*

OK, well - there is 1 thing that I don't like - the silly wall paper trim border that has birds and a beach scene on it. But - it was there when we bought the place, and technically - nothing wrong with it and it isn't too in your face obnoxious - so it has stayed. And it's "matching" bathroom. Maybe someday I will get around to getting it painted ivory.

Anyway - another room with new curtains! Curtains are fairly easy to make, but it does seem to take just about forever to press and sew everything down. I am very pleased with how they came out! Getting the length perfect on the sliding door pair was a bit tricky because I wanted them to go down almost all the way to the floor without dragging on the floor. Interesting note: I used beige thread and you could not see it at all against the fabric. I still have more curtains to make for other rooms, but at least this room is completed.

4 comments:

Lindah said...

This is a very pretty room. I like what you have done with it. It has a restful air about it.

Holly said...

It looks refreshing. Your curtains are wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen such good deals as a dollar a yard here.

Vivian said...

The room looks very peaceful and restful. I bet you get and your guest will get a good nights sleep in there.

I like the stones in the strainer-it is a cute rustic look. The only thing I'd add is a nice (coordinating) piece of fabric lining the strainer (under the stones) or a small quilted mat on the table under the strainer. That would finish it.

Bethany said...

Thank you for leaving a comment at my blog- I have been browsing your blog and absolutely love it! I will be bookmarking and checking often.

Bethany from "Happy to be Called Mommy"