Last time I was at Marden's I didn't buy any quilting fabric. Nope, not a scrap. But, I did buy yards of drapery fabric. Yards, because curtains take yards. This pair took over 8 yards because they are fairly long and I wanted that extra ruffle on the top. At $1 yard for very good quality drapery fabric (extra wide too)- how could I go wrong? OK, so the selection was pretty picked over and I will admit - I was hesitant about this plaid... but it had a such a nice feel and I thought it would work out OK. Now I think it worked out better than OK - they really look much nicer than I thought they would. The fabric is heavy and has a nice sheen to it... it took a press very sharp and was easy to sew (I used a size 16 needle and a slightly longer stitch length). I was careful to cut it so the plaids would line up. While curtains are fairly straight-forward - it is still alot of sewing - I used almost 2 bobbins.
This is the 1st room to get new curtains. The tie backs should have white piping around the bottom edge, but the store only had 1 package and I needed 2... so I just went ahead and finished these up and can always add piping at a later date if I really want to. Right now they are hooked on existing hooks, but I think that I will lower the hooks for these curtains. Done is done and I am really happy with how these turned out. They replaced white lace curtains with venetian blinds... those dumb blinds are constantly getting stuck/broken/whatever, so I am happy to have these nice big curtains now instead. Next up for this room is getting some of the furniture moved around, but that isn't as important as having curtains. One thing at a time!