Monday, April 17, 2006
Child's I Spy Quilt
Done, done, done! All quilted (by me!), bound and labeled. I used 6" novelty charms and the finished top is 51" X 61". Oh, and did I just say that I quilted it? Yes, you heard right. Every once in a great while I will actually quilt a top myself (although I do prefer sending them out). I think we tend to be our own worst critics, because even though I might not think it is the best quilting in the world - it is truly loved by one Little Boy, and at the end of the day - since the quilt is his, that is all that matters, right?
Take a look... I just did these free-hand while stitching...
My Little Darling!
Well, you get the idea. Every block has a different picture - I did a house, a tree with a flower, stars, crescent moon with a profile face, a swirling sun, apple, spelled out his name going diagonally - 1 letter per block, etc. etc. I hope you didn't laugh too loudly - I know, I know, I should try to draw these things out first and then they might look a little better, but that doesn't work for me - just doing it while at the machine is easier for me! With pen and paper I strive too much for perfect. If the sewing machine needle is humming along at a nice steady speed, I just go and go - and loop around and around to make a picture. The trick for me is to keep the speed always the same - if I slow down to think, I'm doomed - if I go to fast, well it is too fast. And before I know it - I have a block done, maybe not perfect, but done!
Finishing this quilt took awhile - and was a bit of a challenge for several reasons...
First, I ran out of red thread. And since I started the quilting with red thread, I wanted to finish it with red thread. So, it sat for a bit (a long bit) until I was able to actually 1) go to a store that sells thread and 2) remember to buy red thread because I usually only buy off white and gray for piecing!
Second, I lost the rest of that dark blue which I wanted to use for the binding. Or, maybe I used every little bit of that fabric already and just don't remember that part? I auditioned a few other fabrics for the binding and then finally decided - forget about the contrast - just use the light blue planets, even if it is a large-ish print and get the thing done!
And Third - I had basted the edges just to hold it all together, which was a good idea because Little Boy likes to play with this quilt on the floor. So, when I actually got back to work on it - he was very upset that it was full of pins and he couldn't play with it. Which meant - I only could work on it while he was sleeping! Needless to say - I machine stitched that binding on - not going to play tug-a-war while I am trying to hand sew the binding onto the back!
So, it is done - and that is a good thing, because the truth of the matter is - it has taken me so long to finish, and Little Boy has played on it sooo much, that it needs to be washed!!!
Think I will go back to dreaming about that long arm machine again...