Thursday, November 25, 2010

Borrow a Dog for an Exercise Buddy!

I would love to have a dog, but you all know - with my travel schedule it just is not possible.  But I am from a family of dog lovers, most everyone in my family has one - and believe me, I can borrow a dog!  Why didn't I think of this before?  So, meet my new jogging buddy Sadie.  She is a member of one of my sister's households and seeing that she is a lab - she is always up for a nice little trot.  
*
OK, so she could use some help with her leash manners.  She actually tripped me today and I fell, skinning my knuckles.  No major injury thankfully, but now I have added a few knots to her leash so I can easily guide her back over to my right side.  But it really isn't her fault - I think she just doesn't know any better.  She is a trotter - my sister says she pulls wicked on that leash, and I guess she does if you want to just go for a walk.  Like a horse who doesn't want to walk going back to the stable!  But a trot seems like a good pace for her and she is happy enough to trot along side of me.
*
Of course, as soon as I try to take her photo, she pulls out into the lead.  I have to gently remind her that we are "partners".  And she seems to be understanding the concept a little bit more.  Don't ask me why, but a long time ago when I had a Rotty - she totally understood Partners but Heel just didn't sink into her thick head.  So, partners it is!
I am so happy to have her with me.  I don't like jogging on the trail all by my lonesome - because I am afraid of coyotees.  Seriously!  Even though I know that running into a pack of coyotees in the middle of the afternoon is a long shot - I hear them yipping all night sometimes.  They make me nervous.  Not sure she would be much of a protector, but I feel better having her along.  So, it is good for the 2 of us.  Trust me - you won't find a more willing and happy jogging partner than an active breed of dog.  A lab fits the bill perfectly!
*
I have doctors orders to exercise 3-4 times a week if I can because I have asthma.  Exercise is important for lung capacity so that when I am having a bad day - I still have some breathing room in my lungs.  The doctor told me that the best Rx she could write was exercise (but I do have medicine back-ups!).  I take that seriously and usually I will try to do a 5K at my fast walk/trot pace a few times a week.  I built up to 5K over a period of time.  I do a "mellow" Pilates or yoga video a few times a week too.  I have a few tapes - they all cost about $5 each (a bargain!) and I rotate them around.  Bad air quality means indoor exercise (you can check your area on weatherbug.  And cold air is the worse thing ever for my breathing so that means indoors too if it is very cold.  But if I get lazy or my schedule gets jammed up and I skip exercise altogether, after a few days I really do feel my lungs shutting down a little bit and I start to get short of breath just from something simple like going up the stairs.  
*
So, if your Dr. suggests exercise, I highly recommend that you try your best to make it part of your daily schedule!  Sometimes I have a monthly gym membership and then I will do alot of walking on the treadmill.  But I've got to say - it is much more fun with a dog!  If you don't have one, try borrowing one!  I like watching our shadows as we make our way along the trail - no cars allowed!

3 comments:

marilyn said...

I admire you! I have 3 dogs of my own and never find time to exercise. I know that exercising would help me feel better, but just make excuse after excuse why I can't get out there. Running has never been my thing, but I do like to walk and love taking my dogs out. I have a boxer/lab and she loves a good run, especially when I ride my bike! She could go all day! I think I might just try to get out of the house today. thanks for the inspiration.

Paula, the quilter said...

None of our friends have pets anymore so I can't even borrow a dog. *sniff* I have to exercise alone.

Saska said...

Your partner is pretty. Our lazy lab sets on the back porch and waits for me to get back from my walks.
There are a lot of coyotes here and wild pigs and yes they do come out during the day.