Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Gift of Food

A few weeks ago I was at my sister-in-laws house - she is a great decorator and this is a photo of what she had on display just coming in the door.  Just thought I would share!
*
Today's post is about the gift of food.  One of my sister's is recovering from a major surgery - right now I am staying with her and helping out.  When you are sick, you need a full time secretary to keep track of everything, let me tell you.  Nurse visits, doctors appointments, medication schedules, etc.  And I am happy enough cleaning and cooking, keeping her company and knitting on my socks when things are quiet.  Her husband is back at work full time and if I wasn't here she would be alone all day.  And she needs help.  There are just no two ways around it.  It has been good for both of us to hang out together - it has been a long time since we could do that!
*
If you know someone who is sick, please consider the gift of food to bring over to the household.  Really.  My sister has been home now for about 3 weeks and we have been really lucky to have a steady supply of food gifts.  Beef stew (yum!), coffee cake, carrot bread, banana bread, turnip soup, winter stew, chicken soup, lentil soup, cookies, muffins, homemade jelly - it has all been eaten.  One weekend my nephew and his wife came and she brought an entire hot cooked meal with her - ribs, potatoes, soup, salad.  Another day she sent over chicken and baked beans, macaroni and cheese.  This week company came for dinner - and they brought the entree of pasta casserole and we fixed the salad.  Don't get me wrong, I am cooking plenty, but sometimes it is nice to just open the fridge and have a selection of things all prepared, just waiting to be heated up.  
*
And my nephew's wife - she has the best recipe for baked beans - I have to get that recipe so I can add it to my list of food to gift to other when needed.  Or potlucks!  I don't know though - she makes a great macaroni and cheese too.  I would say it is almost a toss up!

3 comments:

Lindah said...

How blessed your sister is to have your company and help! Sisters are special And the cooking help from others. I hope she will be feeling much stronger soon.

Brenda said...

This is a very timely post. My sister is going in for surgery - to have a kidney removed - on Monday. I am going to stay with her kids and this is such a good post to read.
Thank You. Give your sister a hug for me. And tell her to get better so she can wear the socks your knitting!!!

Lori said...

I know exactly what you mean. spending time with sisters is important. Helping after surgery sure lightens the load.