Sunday, November 15, 2015

Cream of Pumpkin Soup


I think it might be easier for me to post 1 at a time what I cooked over the course of the week with cooking tips instead of grouping the week together.

My soup this week was Cream of Pumpkin. I buy the pumpkin fresh cubed from the farmers market. I bought the leek there too.

I used:
Butter
Onion
Garlic
Nutmeg, salt & WHITE pepper
About 600 grams pumpkin - chopped
2 potatoes - chopped
2 carrots - chopped
White part of the leek - sliced in rings
6 cups homemade chicken broth
Reduced fat cooking cream
Garnish with pumpkin seed oil

Using a deep pot:Sautée a finely chopped onion in butter for a few minutes. Add 2-3 cloves chopped garlic with a generous pinch of nutmeg and sautée a bit more. Garlic cooks way faster than onion, so make sure your onion is cooked first. If garlic overcook it gets really bitter and then you have to start all over again. Ugh!

Add the other ingredients, except cream. You can use bouillon if you do not have homemade broth. We make broth every week so that is what I use.

Bring to a boil. Turn heat down to simmer and cover. Simmer for about 30 minutes...until vegetables are soft. Use stick blender to puree. Add maybe 1/4 cup of reduced fat cream.

Garnish: Drizzle with pumpkin seed oil and garnish with basil leaves.

Pumpkin seed oil: I highly recommend you search this out! We almost always dress our salads with pumpkin seed oil and a nice balsamic vinegar.

Basil: buy a plant and keep it on your counter!



1 comment:

{Geo}Holly said...

That soup looks so good as does the roll next to it. It is definitely soup season and pumpkin season.