Saturday, February 25, 2006

Cot Quilt - with borders!





















Ta - Da! My "3-Times A Charm" Cot Quilt - with borders and all ready to go to my longarm quilter for her finishing magic! I first blogged about this quilt on Jan. 23rd and you can find the story behind the name, pattern and fabrics on that post.

This little quilt finishes up at 46" X 68" - I think a perfect size for a growing toddler. Bye the way, Little Boy really likes this one and was doing a happy dance all over it this morning - of course - while I had it spread on the floor and was pinning the final borders on. It truly is amazing that this top appears to be perfectly squared - I had a tiny bit of easing to do on 2 of the orange borders and about 1/4" of easing to do on one final black border and that is it!!!!

I use Bonnie's method of putting a border on (www.quiltville.com). I think her directions are clearer than mine, but in a nutshell... 1. Smooth the quilt out on the floor. 2. Roll your border out onto the middle of the quilt. 3. Put pins at the top and bottom - this is your center measurement guide. 4. Now, bring the border over to the side and pin to the quilt sides - using the top and bottom pins as your guides. It should line up perfectly or else you need to do a bit of easing in between those pins. This saves you all the hassel of taking 3 measurements of the top, averaging them, measuring the border, etc. etc. Yuck. I don't like to measure - so this method works perfectly for me! Basically, the idea is to get the outside edges of the quilt the exact same measurement as the middle of the quilt - this is so your quilt will quilt out flat. Believe me - your long arm quilter will thank you for square quilts!

Anyway, my very least favorite part of making a top has got to be the borders (not because they are hard, but because I find them a bit boring, I mean afterall - that is sewing time I could spend starting a new, exciting top right?), so I am very pleased to have my part finished!
 Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Cher said...

very fun quilt-and it is great little boy loves it so much-you certainly have been getting a lot of quilts done in Austria! Do you not do any of your own quilting? This one is small enough to try your hand at if you are interested.

Jeanne said...

This came together wonderfully, Evelyn! I went back to read your first blog about it, and smiled at Little Boy helping :)

dot said...

This quilt is wonderful, I went back to read the first post. THrre times the charm, good name. Enjoy, or should I say Little Boy enjoy.

Mary Johnson said...

Very nice - I like this one and the bars quilt too. You've been busy.

Holly said...

The cot quilt is wonderful! (My least favorite part of the quilt process is getting the backing ready for the quilter. Not enough space.) It's a wonder little boy didn't dance on any pins.

Granny said...

Great top and perfect for your little son. It's bright and cheerful and shouldn't show any little smudges that I'm sure won't happen but you never know! :)

Judy L.

Darcie said...

***Believe me - your long arm quilter will thank you for square quilts!***

Oh, you can say that again, Evelyn! Great-looking quilt for Little Boy! Hope he can help Momma do the binding, too!

Forgive me for trying to save a little time (dial-up, you know): Your green scarf and accessories are awesome! Your sisters are so lucky!

Passionate Quilter said...

good job on another quilt top done! such a good feeling.And I'm sure Little Boy will enjoy it too! I'm glad to hear that someone else's least favorite part of the quilt process is borders! They are soooo boring to do.

Jan Mac said...

LOve the bright colours of this quilt. You're getting a lot done even with a youngster underfoot.