Thursday, February 16, 2006
Ta-Da! Desperado blocks. The fabrics are hard to get a detailed photo of, but this will give you an idea.
Do you ever start a quilt pattern, and even though it is fairly simple, just struggle through the entire thing? Well, that was this pattern for me. I don't know why - maybe it was the mono-chromatic color scheme, the fact that I had to refer to the directions for every cut, I had to keep a sample block (in 4 segments) on the ironing board to refer to when pressing to get the seams to butt against each other, or maybe - it is just that Spring is around the corner and I want to wrap up my winter quilting projects. Whatever the case, my mind definately wasn't "into" this quilt. Yes, I made a block with a mistake - it is on the bottom right - 2nd block up from the bottom. DH asked if I was going to rip it apart and I said "No, it is a reminder to me that I am quilting with a 2.5 year old underfoot!".
All that being said - I am still pleased with the top so far. It looks about what I envisioned when I started - it just needs a skinny inner border and then a wider outer border (the outer border will be more of the dark green). Each block measures 9X11. The finished quilt is supposed to be 56 1/2" X 66 1/2", but I made an extra row, so add another 9" to the finished length. Despite my mind block, it did take only 2 weeks to piece up to this point, so that isn't too bad. And some day, I might even try this pattern again - I think it would look stunning with a bunch of bright hand-dyed fabrics.
The next 2 photos - a close up of one of the blocks - and the magazine cover where I got the pattern from (McCall's Quick Quilts - May 2005).