Thursday, February 16, 2006

Desperado Blocks















Ta-Da! Desperado blocks. The fabrics are hard to get a detailed photo of, but this will give you an idea.

Do you ever start a quilt pattern, and even though it is fairly simple, just struggle through the entire thing? Well, that was this pattern for me. I don't know why - maybe it was the mono-chromatic color scheme, the fact that I had to refer to the directions for every cut, I had to keep a sample block (in 4 segments) on the ironing board to refer to when pressing to get the seams to butt against each other, or maybe - it is just that Spring is around the corner and I want to wrap up my winter quilting projects. Whatever the case, my mind definately wasn't "into" this quilt. Yes, I made a block with a mistake - it is on the bottom right - 2nd block up from the bottom. DH asked if I was going to rip it apart and I said "No, it is a reminder to me that I am quilting with a 2.5 year old underfoot!".

All that being said - I am still pleased with the top so far. It looks about what I envisioned when I started - it just needs a skinny inner border and then a wider outer border (the outer border will be more of the dark green). Each block measures 9X11. The finished quilt is supposed to be 56 1/2" X 66 1/2", but I made an extra row, so add another 9" to the finished length. Despite my mind block, it did take only 2 weeks to piece up to this point, so that isn't too bad. And some day, I might even try this pattern again - I think it would look stunning with a bunch of bright hand-dyed fabrics.

The next 2 photos - a close up of one of the blocks - and the magazine cover where I got the pattern from (McCall's Quick Quilts - May 2005).






15 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I have a similar UFO (same results different method) and have avoided it becasue I am not ready to do a "think about" project.

I love your dark green background...

Laurie Ann said...

I spy a truck in the photo! Little Boy must be helping you again! :)

Passionate Quilter said...

what a nice quilt--don't you just hate those days when you just can't seem to get it right? I do love your "humble" block! :)You never know, tomorrow you might wake up all inspired!

Mary Johnson said...

My mom and I just did a Delectable Mountain quilt with the same method and I have a quilt called Magic Lanterns that also uses this technique that I want to make.

Your version looks good - I like the green background.

Debra Dee said...

Well done. I like the bold colors and the contrast. I'll be anxious to see this with the borders.

Cher said...

good for you to stick with this top...and I think it came out well.

Patti said...

Don't you wonder sometimes why someone thought something was a "quick quilt"? The blocks look great - and every quilt needs at least one humble block. Love the colors!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Yup this is a great graphic quilt/pattern! It is wonderful - and I love your little memory of making it with a 2 yr old underfoot!

Samantha said...

i like the oops block! i many artistic traditions, 1 mistake is included deliberatley to acknowledge humans are not perfect, to pay tribute togod, etc. The whole quilt is lovely!

quiltpixie said...

Turned out great for having a 2 1/2 yr old under foot :-) Love the darlings, but they do reck havock on quilting time...

Jan Mac said...

I love it too. Evelyn. I'd leave the oops block and add a mention the reason for it on the label. It will make it an interesting quilt for future generations.

Granny said...

Evelyn, the quilt is very pretty. Not sure why we struggle but I do the same thing. In fact, the top I'm working on now . . I should have finished it mid-week and I still don't even have the blogs all made.

Judy L.

Debby Brown said...

Keep at it -- it's a beautiful quilt.

Mary Johnson said...

You are right about no batting on the jeans quilt - boy it got heavy quick with those outer layers. I was debating using a thin batt until that final layer. I'll use a flannel back and I think I'll just meander it - the longarm should handle it OK. Thanks for posting.

Laurie said...

Evelyn...that is GREAT! I love the blocks!!! And that truck is a special touch! ;o)
Hugs
Laurie