Tuesday, July 18, 2006
1 Year of Progress
Here is a photo of my poor little "weed patch" - last year. This is an enclosed area which, years ago, was a swimming pool. Since this photo last year we have replaced the broken rick-rack on the side, painted the wall, built an enclosed rubbish bin (it is now in the top left corner), replaced the gate with a swinging gate that the tractor could fit through, built the flower planters... and took care of any and all weeding problems permantly...
Ta-Da! We put concrete over the entire thing!!! We had the metal rim removed for a cleaner finish. Just out of sight - off to the left bottom is the kitchen door, so it is only sensible that this "garden" is now an herb garden. The planters are all planted with basil, rosemary, st. johns wart, chives, thyme, etc. Still to come is some sort of small evergreen shrub in the empty part of the planter on the bottom. We kept the grand-daddy rhubarb plant intact (bottom left). Next up will be removing those shallow planters you see in the forefront - I didn't bother to plant them this year because the plants get cooked - the boxes are too shallow and sit on that heat absorbing concrete... My plan is to continue lattice work to provide a "screen" and then put pots of climbing plants underneath. We will build a "housing" for the hose, put up some sort of picnic pagoda for shade and move table, chairs and gas grill out into this area. Also, I've got to do something about the curtains in the laundry area... slowly but surely. We've been at this property for 3 years now and we are starting to see progress! All in all, I am pleased with the progress we've made out here - because it is a bit low priority compared to some other things!
On the sewing front - I PINNED 2 seams yesterday. Maybe I will get around to sewing them sometime today... Slowly, but surely!!!