Sunday, December 30, 2007

Gayle Bong Scrap Quilt finished!

I haven't named this quilt yet, but...
66.5" X 86.5"

Pattern by Gayle Bong in Save the Scraps book.
I blogged about this pattern a few posts ago, but I think it bears repeating - this was a fun and fast pattern (it looks more complicated than it was) and the directions were accurate.
A tiny bit about borders... I really don't like the border part of a quilt. But, by doing just 2 strips here and there at night I was able to finish this top in good order. There is a pieced cream/floral border, a floral border and then the scrappy pieced outer border. So lots of borders for someone who doesn't like borders! But the end results are well worth the extra effort!
ALL from stash!!! I even got to use some pre-cut 2.5" strips from my strip bins. I used my LARGE floral fabric that I didn't want to cut down into little pieces. I used some medium value fabrics that sometimes I have a hard time using, but like buying because they are pretty. The fabrics I used don't exactly "match", but because of the white borders - there is enough space around them that it does all work. Yes, I even cut the last tiny bit of 2 oldie but goodie fabrics for this top. The backing is even from stash - a very nice piece of mottled rust/brown flannel - I bought it for the backing for another quilt and didn't get enough - but it was perfect amount for the back of this quilt. Everything is all neatly folded together and ready to send off to be quilted. I figure - about 11 yards for this quilt. I can't wait to get it back from the quilter and snuggle under it!!! As much as I love my fabrics sitting on a shelf, I love them ever so much more when they are in a quilt!
And - in case you are wondering... yes, we did get rain instead of snow so Little Boy could not go sledding. However, snow is forcasted for tomorrow so I expect I will be troopsing up and down that hill to supervise exciting sledding in the very near future. In the meantime - today I went out for a nice bike ride in the extra balmy 4C (high 30's) weather we have - no snow banks/slush to fight - ok, so I still wore ski pants and my winter hat under my helmet. By myself! Not sure when that will happen again (both the clear roads and being by myself) but at least I enjoyed it today!

14 comments:

Randi said...

Yep, beautiful!

Silverthimble said...

Wonderful quilt! I love it!

Donna said...

The borders look great and continue the pattern of the top. It's a beautiful quilt to enjoy for years to come.

Susan said...

Too bad about the snow, but I'm just betting there will be another chance before too long. Were Little Boy and Daddy having a bonding session while you biked?

The quilt came out great!

mehitabel said...

Great use of those fabrics! I too love to do scrap quilts, but "planned" scrap quilts, not just ugly random ones. Even though sometimes using ugly fabrics can make for very attractive quilts!

Gail said...

Terrific quilt, I like it very much. I'm glad you got a few moments to yourself, even the best Momma needs that once in a while- it lets her continue being the BEST

Laurie said...

i like the border on this one...it's subtle but nice! i'll need this pattern becausae it's easy and looks GREAT!
hugs
laurie

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Well done, stash busting at its best! Happy New Year, Evelyn! Hugs all around, for little boy, too!

Granny said...

Quilt looks great! I have that one on my "to do" list too.

Erin said...

the quilt is gorgeous!

Cher said...

well, I have caught up and love reading all the going-ons at your house! beautiful quilts Evelyn and lots of great ideas with the neck warmers and soap bag. Thanks so much for sharing how you do these fun things.

Unknown said...

I really like this quilt. I had to increase the size of the pic before I believed it was really easy. Wonderful!

loulee said...

Love that top.
Enjoy the snow. Happy New Year to you all. A ((Hug)) for little boy.

Hedgehog said...

What a beautiful pattern!

Happy New Year to you and your family.