Tuesday, December 18, 2007

In Between Storms

Look who is back in time for Christmas... none other than DH - yes - the very same DH who kissed me goodbye at the airport in October and swore he would be back in 2 weeks. Excuse me, but I think maybe the 2 of us have a different way of keeping track of time because in my book - end of October to mid- December is more than 2 weeks!

Fortunately, his trip was in between storms! And, as it was - he was supposed to be on a 3 o'clock flight, but actually came in at midnight. I was just happy that it was DH traveling by himself instead of me with my son - delays with a little one in tow can be unbearable! Well, because it is hours to get to the airport and the weather was sort-ov up in the air anyway, I had thought ahead to pack an overnight bag so Little Boy and I were all set.

While waiting we did NOT go shopping. My son - well, he HATES shopping. Have I ever mentioned that before? I think so! And this time of year, well the stores are just zoo-ey and then he sees stuff he wants because of course right now they just have toys everywhere -even if your intent was to look at - say - measuring cups - there is sure to be a toy of some sort right in the same aisle and chances are that particular desired toy is complete j-u-n-k anyway. So, what to do during a 9 hour wait?

Well, we drove another hour and 1/2... I have friends up there and we had a very nice 1 1/2 hour visit. Then - off to the indoor ride place. There, we happily spent some time - a nice warm indoor distraction that did not involve hysterics in a store... the drive was worth it! We got something to eat. We browsed the bookstore (although he doesn't like shopping - he does like the bookstore!). I got a book on computers (I am determined to ACE PowerPoint this winter) and he got a child's magazine. Then we headed back to the hotel before the weather got bad, had "naps" and had to get up around 11 to go to the airport.

The next day before heading home we stopped off at the stores and I ran in while DH sat in the truck with Little Boy - who had no interest what-so-ever in going in so was perfectly happy with that arrangement. I was happy too - gave me a chance to get a few stocking stuffers and that all important "Santa" wrapping paper! Plus got our favorite bread/fresh fruit at the big grocery store. Also had a chance to run into a shop that made a bear for my son - will have to post a photo of that later because it is on my other computer!

No sooner do we get home - next storm started right in. Did I care? Nope, not one BIT - you see... DH has a MUCH bigger snow shovel than that little snow shovel I bought at the hardware store. Before I let him go away next time - tractor lessons are a must - I will not be shoveling snow by hand again when we have a perfectly good tractor sitting up in the shed. I am not sure that you can in the photo, but Little Boy is ALL smiles!!! Happy days!


Aamer Waqas Ghaus Chaudhary said...

You must be a wonderful Mama!
Good blog!
Keep it up!

Lindah said...

Yesss! He looks like one happy boy to have his Daddy home.

I'm with you--learn to drive that tractor! :-)

Merry Christmas!
Linda H

Laurie said...

what a joyful post! thanks for sharing this with us evelyn!

Morah said...

I haven't read your blog in a while. It was fun to catch up on the last few posts. You sound blissfully happy with Daddy home and not worried a bit if you get snowed in!

Mary said...

How nice he made it home. That's a long time to be apart. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Susan said...

It sounds like you were well-prepared for the delay. Moms really have to think ahead, don't they? Love the tractor picture, and so glad your DH is home for a while!

Jeanne said...

I see a mighty happy smile on Little Boy's face! How wonderful that you're all togetjer for the holidays! Have a lovely Christmas.
Hugs ~ Jeanne