Not much time for quilting lately (because I've been using my sewing time on clothes - thanks for all the nice comments), but this string project takes no thought so it is easy enough to grab a few pieces here and there and make a few seams. Originally, I started this project (in early June) as part of Judy's May challenge to use a piece from the stash thinking I would use that dark blue background (which so closely matches my dark gray carpet that it might be hard to see). My scrap bin was seperated into 2 piles and all the pinks, blues and purples were put near my sewing machine to be sewn into Chinese Coins (inspired by Mary's beautiful Chinese Coins!).
You can see - here and there - strips of little squares - those are the left-over edge pieces from cutting the sewn strings down to 6" (the rows are 6" - same width as my favorite ruler). I think they add a little bit of interest.
This photo shows what my progress looked like in early June. I must say, it has made a good dent in my scrap bin - but the big piece of dark blue background is going back into the stash... It looks so dark and dreary. I am thinking a nice bright turquoise solidish type fabric will look great with these strings as the alternating bar color with a sunny yellow inner border, turquoise outer border and scrappy pieced binding. Or bright pink. Or even bright orange. But not that dark blue, certainly not that one fabric I was intending on using! So much for meeting the challenge of using A piece of fabric from the stash, but I did make pretty good use of all those strings!