Thursday, April 12, 2007

Heart Quilt














Even though I haven't been doing much of any quilt related sewing lately, my finished quilts are starting to come back from the quilters, so I have something quilt related to share!

I seem to go in cycles... I will go through a period when I piece blocks like crazy - several different quilts on the go all the time and loving every minute of it. And then, I have periods like now - I putter around with other things and have set quilting aside for a spell.

Anyway - you might remember this heart quilt - I made the connector blocks and a few hearts, the rest of the hearts were made by other quilters in a heart block swap... ages ago! Last summer I finally pieced it altogether and here is a photo of the finished quilt.

Very heavily quilted - click on the photo below to enlarge some of the detail. The hearts are outlined and then filled in with swirls, hearts, flowers, etc. - the borders too. Any "bare" area was filled in with a meander. It really is beautiful except that the quilter used white bobbin thread in some areas instead of pink through-out. I am not really sure why - it almost looks like she did some areas at a different time and forgot to change the bobbin thread?! The back is a soft flannel. Not a "favorite", but I am very pleased with the finished quilt and I think it will get lots of "snuggle" use. After a wash and dry the white thread won't be so obvious. For size reference - it is on a queen bed... this quilt ends at the pink border (plus pastel green binding) - there is a tan quilt under it.

10 comments:

Finn said...

Hi Evelyn, the finished Heart quilt looks just great on the bed. So nice that you can play catch up and then hit the piecing again when you are ready..*VBS* Hope everyone is well and happy. Hugs, Finn

Samantha said...

It came out wonderfully. Sounds like you and Little Boy are having a wonderful time together!

Marla said...

I really like heavily quilted as oppossed to lightly quilted. It looks wonderful

Kairle Oaks said...

That turned out very nicely, Evelyn. I just love flannel backings on quilts, especially in the summer when everyone in the family love the A/C on high!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

It's a very pretty quilt, I would be curious about the changing bobbin color too, but as you said, after a trip through the washer it will be much less obvious. You'll love snuggling under it just the same~!

Nancy said...

It's a very pretty quilt. I think we all take spells when we do other things besides quilting. In the meantime I'm sure you and Little boy (who's not so "little" any more!) are having wonderful adventures that you will both remember forever.

Judy said...

Very pretty quilt! I, too, go thru periods of piecing like crazy and then do periods of applique. Never bored!

Cher said...

nice catching up with you and little boy! what wonderful sewing you do for him and great tips! with a baby granddaughter, my mind is turning to making little clothes...but right now she has a ton of great stuff to wear.
this heart quilt turned out cozy.

Vicky said...

Your Heart quilt is just gorgeous! And I always enjoy hearing of your adventures with Little Boy!

(Hugs)

Unknown said...

It must be like receiving a new quilt to get back a quilt from the quilter. I bet after a few wash, that quilt will grow in your heart as well! Take care.