Monday, February 07, 2011

An old-fashioned feeling quilt

I started this quilt in Austria and then had to bring it back with me, unfinished.  Why?  Because for some reason I miscalculated the yardage I would need and was short - get this - 10  2.5" squares of that light cream fabric and 1 strip 2.5" X 10.5" of the dark brown for a sashing strip.  Lucky me - I still had a bit of that fabric in Canada.  Which I brought back to the USA with me last week from my little trip up there.  This is a well traveled project and it is amazing that I have been able to keep track of it at all!  Tonight I cut out the missing pieces and I have it set aside for Wednesday night sewing night at one of my sister's.  Finally I will be able to sew that last row of blocks onto the top and move onto the borders!  I love this pattern - it is just a block that I like and then I sashed it so no pattern.  I think it has such a nice old-fashioned homey kind of feeling.  Sunny Lanes is also slated to be worked on this Wednesday night.
*
The other day I was visiting one of my sisters at the hospital she has been at this month.  Three of my sister's have had surgeries this winter so it has been a busy time for me helping them out.  The good news is that everyone is doing fine, it is just that sometimes healing takes a little time.  In the lobby they had this very nice arrangement of flowers.  Pretty!  I love how these colors work together.

7 comments:

Judy D in AZ said...

How great that you still had the needed fabric. Best wishes for your Sisters.

I need to make a blue and white scrappy quilt. I just love your SIP. I think that is the pattern for me.

Tamera said...

Isn't it amazing how sometimes we look at something (like a flower arrangement) and see how the colors might work together for a quilt, lol?

Katie Z. said...

Pretty blocks.

Glad your sisters are healing.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

How cool to have such a well traveled quilt! Love the flowers - I see another quilt in your future in those colors!

Marian said...

Glad you had the fabric to finish that great quilt. My first time at your blog, LOVE your quilts.

dot said...

Beautiful quilt and sounds like you were lucky to find the fabric to complete. I pray your sister is doing well.

Shirley said...

I'd like to share with you something I made this month.
http://comfortquilts.blogspot.com/
Shirley