Sunday, September 09, 2007
Checkerboard Log Cabin Finished/Quilty Post
You might remember that I was working on this top last summer... and here is the finished result! I must say, I am really pleased with it. Typically, I make my log cabins fairly big with no borders... with this one - I switched sewing machines somewhere along the way and due to a slight variation in seam allowance... these are the blocks that went together. Too small. So, I added the solid red border, the checkerboard border from scraps from another project, bought yardage for the outer border fabric (I almost always have to buy yardage for borders as most my fabric is smaller pieces)... decided I wasn't so sure about the border fabric and let it sit for awhile longer, finally decided that just about any border fabric would be better than an unfinished top so I used what I originally purchased. I debated about the width of the final border and finally went with 9.5" - I like it. At the end of the day - the border fabric I bought seems like a perfect fit, so now I am not so sure what my original doubts were! It fits my queen sized bed with a nice overhang on the sides (I have a footboard so that is always an issue, but if I make a big pillow tuck it usually takes care of extra length and I like extra wide to hang over since my bed is high). NOT like I don't already have a log cabin on my bed, because one of my older logs is a true favorite.
By request - a photo of my 3rd Shakespear, all pieced! Until I figure out a better photo method for tops, you will just have to imagine the top row because right now it gets draped over a fence!
And finally, a photo of 1/2 of my current project - I will let you know how it goes as I make more progress.
It is a very busy time of year for me right now... but a lull is on the horizon!