Thursday, November 16, 2006

Dressing dolls















Here is the result of me fussing around with doll clothes patterns - I got this pattern at the Joanne's sale last weekend for $1! The fabric was on clearance for $2 a yard and I think each garmet took less than 1/2 a yard. Ummm - has anyone LOOKED at the prices in the American Girl catalog lately? Ouch - especially if you just so happen to have a little girl who likes a variety of outfits for her doll. And, I just so happen to have 2 nieces who love these dolls right now. I made this outfit just glitzy and shimmery enough to make any little girl happy!

There are things to remember about this slippery/shimmery/RAVELLY fabric if you are a quilter used to very well-behaved quilting fabric! The first thing being that it will melt if you put your iron setting to cotton! It really unravels about as fast as you can sew it - so I used Stitch Witchery on some of the seams and my serger on the bigger seams. I am waiting for scissors to go on sale next week at Joanne's and then I will get a pair of pinking shears. I am slowly remember all my clothes sewing tips/techniques as these little clothes are being assembled... meaning... don't look too closely at this outfit as it is the 1st one - I am just getting warmed up here! But aren't we sometimes are own worst critic? I just know that my nieces are going to be thrilled and I AM having a FUN time making these and those 2 things are really what matters at the end of the day anyway. Part of the fun for me IS in working with these non-quilting fabrics - I have a love of fiber and it has been a while since I last worked with fabrics with many different textures (and personalities!).

This is just one of the many, various non-quilt-y projects I have on the go right now! So - 1 outfit down, still have to make the 2nd one which is identical (one for each niece). You might be able to see in the photo - I have red dresses cut out too - so more to come later.

10 comments:

quiltpixie said...

there's a whole new set of "tricks for the trade" with sewing outfits -- whether for real people or dolls! Thanks for reminding me why I stick with quilting :-) (though I'm happy that its working for you)

Anonymous said...

How fun! I remember when CPK's were really popular, my sister had one & our great aunt (made/bought) hand knit sweaters for them - my mom made some outfits too. I think my mom used cotton...

Nancy said...

I used to make Barbie clothes for my oldest niece when she was little. I had the most fun. I used to buy remnants of the "slinky" fabrics to make fancy evening dresses, etc. Debbie just loved them. I did find in working with such small pieces it was easier for me to hand sew them than use the machine.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the dress is adorable! My girls loved homemade american doll clothese when they were younger!

Fiona said...

What pretty outfit. I used to love to make doll's clothes. One year when my daughter was 6 I made a huge wardrobe of clothes for her doll - coat, hat, muff, wedding dress, skirts, tops, sailor dress - you name it, I made it. I was so excited to see what she would think of them on Christmas day. However ... I had hidden them in a box on top of a set of bookshelves, near to a cupboard door. One day, when the cupboard door was opened, they all fell off the top, onto the floor, right in front of my little girl! I guess it was still a surprise but I was so disappointed that she didn't get to open them as a present. I'll bet your nieces will be thrilled with what you have made.

Jan Mac said...

This is a cute outfit for the doll and the little girls will be thrilled, I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, how fun! I've never done any sewing like that, but I know when Amy was smaller she would have been mightily impressed!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Sweet P said...

What an adorable dress. Your nieces will be very happy to get the new outfits for their dolls.

Mary Johnson said...

Sounds like you are having fun. It's nice to work on things other than quilting sometimes. I love my knitting and crochet but I have to admit I'm really missing my quilting time. I'm anxious for the move to be over so I can get back to spending my days in the studio.

ForestJane said...

Sewing doll clothes is fun because it lets you use the scraps and ends of stuff you have left that aren't big enough for 'real' people clothes.

Did you have to go buy a doll so you'd have one to fit the clothes on?