Monday, November 06, 2006

A borrowed machine
















I don't have my own sewing machine with me right now, so I am borrowing one of my sister's... this is it! She has had this machine for years and years and through many moves... and it still sews like a charm. I had to go get some bobbins for it as she couldn't find 'nary a one, plus some new needles... but she did have it serviced some time ago so it was nice and clean and all ready to go. It is kind-ov fun to sew on as it "chugs". Yes, it chugs right along with the belt whirling away and emiting a faint aroma of sewing machine oil. She is happy to do a straight stitch or a zig zag, but please don't ask her to sew through bulky layers - she won't do it - or for a 1/4" seam as part of the fabric will go right into the feed dog. Doesn't really matter anyway - I am not really doing anything quilty right now - other than sewing together all those quilt backs I got from Marden's - which I use a slightly larger seam for.

It is a great machine for basic sewing - I finally finished Little Boy's butterfly fleece robe - needed to as the house tends to be a bit chilly in the mornings now. Plus, I have a few small Christmas presents lined up that I will be making on this machine (in conjunction with my serger!). I made my 9 year old fashion diva niece a Halloween costume with this machine... out of dalmation minke. She wanted a skirt with long black fringe and a matching poncho (also with fringe). I lined the collar with black fleece and then made a black fleece headband which we attached dalmation ears too. I hear she looked great, but I only saw her in each individual piece as we tried things on. HOWEVER, minke is a bit of a PAIN to sew. 1/2 way through the costume I went to Canada (that big trip) and brought my serger back down. Well, the serger made short work of the rest of that minke, phew! and the costume was done for Halloween.

And, speaking of Halloween, here is my own Little Pumpkin... It was a great costume because the night of the hay ride it was very COLD and his orange winter jacket fit right under there. Luckily, the weather took a turn for the better for trick-or-treating so he just wore a light-weight jacket underneath. I know, I know - a bit late, but we've been soooo very busy, busy around here. More later...

10 comments:

Melanie said...

Great picture---there's a special place in heaven for sisters that share....love the 'crunchy' leaves in the picture also.

Samantha said...

so glad to have you back around. Little Boy looks adorable in that costume!

Hedgehog said...

Cute little pumpkin!! Luck you can share machines!

Laurie Ann said...

Good to hear from you again. I was wondering what you and Little Boy were up do. Sounds like quite an adventure!

floribunda said...

I have an old workhourse Kenmore, too -- actually it's 35 years now. My DH uses it for sails but it hasn't slowed down a bit!

Pam said...

I think we should all have an extra machine or two (ok for some of us it is more than 3 or 4) around to help out someone who needs one for a time.

Sounds like you are as busy as ever. Little Boy and Momma make a good pair!

ForestJane said...

Adorable little punkin you have! Just out of curiosity, what was the plump bottom of the pumpkin stuffed with to make it stand out? One of those little floatie tubes you use in a pool would have worked, and been lightweight ... *thinking*

Darcie said...

Oh! And what a handsome Little Pumpkin! I'd love to see your Dalmation, too. You've been quite the busy Mom and Auntie, Evelyn!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Cute little pumpkin there! And I love the machine! Just like I used to sew on growing up!

Susan said...

I have two machines of the same vintage as that Kenmore. One of mine has the cams, and my son keeps that one at his dorm room. The other one is very much like this one. I've had my cam machine for about 35 years, and it does just keep on sewing. I had it cleaned once in all those years. I think it might be due for another one. =)

Your son is adorable, and I love the planting picture. I know everyone will appreciate all these flowers in the spring.